One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Inhibiting cell growth and division.
- ‘It is also accepted that a percentage of cancer patients develop secondary tumors after being treated with mutagenic agents such as cytostatic drugs.’
- ‘Data from such experiments can be misleading since lipid peroxidation products are cytostatic and cytotoxic; and anticancer drugs that generate oxidative stress in biological systems can enhance this effect.’
- ‘This cytostatic drug produced dose-related genotoxic effects in both types of wings and in both crosses.’
- ‘We can then culture those cells and test whether they are likely to be susceptible to a variety of treatments: cytostatic agents, hormones and angiogenesis inhibitors.’
- ‘Two case studies have been published on in vivo iontophoretic targeting of cytostatic drugs into skin tumors, one on Bleomycin and the other on Cisplatin.’
- ‘In both the cases, oocytes were exposed to the cytostatic chemical, nocodazole, from the time of hormonally stimulated resumption of meiosis.’
- ‘In preclinical and clinical studies at cytostatic doses, paclitaxel has demonstrated promising results for reducing the processes leading to restenosis.’
- ‘Antineoplastic agents include cytostatic drugs, hormones, antibiotics and other supportive therapy.’
- ‘We looked for cytostatic properties that would block cells from multiplying rather than kill them.’
- ‘Cytotoxic and cytostatic gene transfer strategies were developed and tested in animal models of arterial injury.’
- ‘The newest stents (which are expensive and not yet in general use) are made of metal coated with a cytostatic agent such as sirolimus or paclitaxel.’
- ‘It is well known that some cytostatic drugs are DNA-damaging agents.’
- ‘Hormonal therapy for postmenopausal women using chemicals such as tamoxifen is cytostatic, meaning it stops estrogen from stimulating breast cancer cells.’
- ‘Microtubule drugs are widely used in cancer chemotherapy due to their cytostatic effects.’
- ‘It is a cytostatic drug that stops cell division very early in the cell cycle without causing cell death.’
- ‘No ionizing radiation, cytostatic agents, or solvents capable of explaining these disorders were detected at the study site.’
Any substance that inhibits cell growth and division.
- ‘As early as the next year, the first isolated work room for a safer preparation of cytostatics was completed.’
- ‘Thanks to this multistep therapy, one has the chance to positively influence the course of the illness - even when tumours have not previously responded to radiotherapy, to cytostatics or to hormones.’
- ‘As mutagens we used two classic cytostatics: the radiomimetic bleomycin and the recombinogen mitomycin C.’
- ‘We found that the same protective mechanisms can account for resistance after both irradiation and cytostatics.’
- ‘Large numbers of materials which can be implanted in the body and contain cytostatics are known.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.