Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The branch of biology concerned with the structure and function of plant and animal cells.
- ‘The brush cytology again revealed distinctive features of endometrial cells.’
- ‘Brush biopsy is a common technique used to sample cells from lesions or suspicious areas for cytology.’
- ‘Sputum cytology showed atypical cells suspicious of bronchogenic carcinoma.’
- ‘Combined cytology and HPV DNA testing should not be performed more often than every three years.’
- ‘New technologies for cytology screening have been promoted to physicians and the public.’
- ‘Histopathology, cytology, and microbiology confirmed the diagnosis of intestinal tuberculosis.’
- ‘At Wolverhampton she specialised in cytology and introduced the cervical cytology screening service.’
- ‘Our study further demonstrated that the results of pericardial cytology do not influence patient survival.’
- ‘Aspiration cytology showed no evidence of atypical cells.’
- ‘Urine cytology may be helpful in ruling out transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder.’
- ‘A repeat pleural fluid cytology on one of the occasions was suggestive of signet-ring cell carcinoma.’
- ‘The laboratory medicine department of cytology at York Hospital also received a regional training award at the ceremony for its cervical screening work.’
- ‘Urine cytology, which checks the number and appearance of cells in urine samples, often fails to detect early tumors.’
- ‘Digital cervical images and cytology and histology slides were externally reviewed to maximize patient safety.’
- ‘The diagnosis should be confirmed by biopsy or brush cytology.’
- ‘HPV testing is significantly more expensive than pap tests and liquid cytology because it involves costly DNA analysis.’
- ‘Vavilov was an early student of Bateson and was thoroughly grounded in genetics and cytology.’
- ‘Urine cytology showed transitional cells only, but a brush biopsy from the renal pelvis revealed atypical cells.’
- ‘In both cytology and histology, the largest numbers of tests were ordered on those patients age 21 to 64.’
- ‘The final diagnosis was confirmed by cytology, histology, or clinical follow-up.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.