Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for kinin
- ‘Cytokinins may reduce the effect of sugars on acclimation processes in leaves, as elevated cytokinins enhance greening and leaf protein levels, and antagonize senescence responses.’
- ‘Similar to higher plants, growth and development in Physcomitrella is regulated both by environmental factors, such as the quantity and quality of light, and by phytohormones including auxins, cytokinins, and abscisic acid.’
- ‘At the end of their development, the tuberized lateral branches contained very high amounts of polyphenols, which oxidized into dark compounds rendering in situ localization of cytokinins impossible at this stage.’
- ‘Among the plant growth regulators dynamically intervening in this mechanism, indole acetic acid, abscisic acid and cytokinins are cited most often.’
- ‘Additional evidence that supports the of microbial derived growth regulators hypothesis is provided by recent reports that demonstrated the synthesis of cytokinins by facultative and obligate methylobacteria strains.’
- ‘Photosynthate supply and phytohormones, particularly cytokinins, interact with nitrogen supply through signal transduction pathways to control the expression of photosynthesis genes and development and senescence of leaves.’
- ‘In the xylem, following the application of nitrate, both the exudation rate and the concentration of the cytokinins increased, with ZR being the dominant species in the sap.’
- ‘Herbivorous tephritid flies host an endosymbiotic bacterium until recently classified in the genus Erwinia, a galling plant pathogen capable of synthesizing auxins and cytokinins.’
- ‘The correlation was remarkable suggesting that in this real tissue cytokinins may be involved in the regulation of cell division, just as they are in cultured cells.’
- ‘Researchers demonstrated they could make such blobs of tissue grow into either roots or shoots depending on the ratio of two critical plant hormones, auxins and cytokinins.’
- ‘A careful analysis of cytokinin biosynthesis and redistribution across the tip upon gravistimulation should allow evaluation of the role of cytokinins in the early phases of gravicurvature.’
- ‘Cytokinins, gibberellins, and auxin have been applied to promote cell division during the early stages of fruit growth in many species.’
- ‘When, besides auxins, cytokinins are also administered, the cells divide.’
- ‘Many insects synthesize plant cytokinins, which they administer to cause plants to form structures that protect the insect or its offspring.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.