Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of a number of substances, such as interferon, interleukin, and growth factors, that are secreted by certain cells of the immune system and have an effect on other cells.
- ‘Administration of cytokines or cytokine antagonists alters only one aspect of a complex immune response.’
- ‘Numerous cytokines and growth factors have been implicated as mediators in the pathogenesis of pulmonary fibrosis.’
- ‘Status of various immune cells and intracellular secretion of cytokines were assessed by flow cytometry.’
- ‘Attracted by cytokines and growth factors, fibroblasts migrate into wound sites within several days of injury.’
- ‘TNF is a cytokine, or cell protein, that acts as an inflammatory agent in rheumatoid arthritis.’
- ‘Phagocytes themselves also secrete cytokines, which influence the behaviour of other cells.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.