One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a number of compounds consisting of heme bonded to a protein. Cytochromes function as electron transfer agents in many metabolic pathways, especially cellular respiration.
- ‘Respiration in wheat endosperm was measured together with the activities of citrate synthase and cytochrome oxidase.’
- ‘The majority of iron in humans is located in the porphyrin ring of heme that is incorporated into proteins and enzymes such as myoglobin, hemoglobin, cytochromes, catalases, and peroxidases.’
- ‘Iron is used in actively proliferating cells for cytochrome and DNA synthesis.’
- ‘Hemoglobin, myoglobin, cytochromes, and other proteins are involved in oxygen transport and utilization.’
- ‘Our first protein target was cytochrome c because it contains a positively charged surface made up of several lysine and arginine residues.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.