Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An instrument inserted into the urethra for examining the urinary bladder.
- ‘Some of these early cancers can be destroyed by laser beam or by snipping off the tumour and burning with a hot wire passed through a cystoscope.’
- ‘Initial diagnostic cystoscopy can be performed under local anesthesia using a rigid or flexible cystoscope.’
- ‘Endoscopy revealed prostatic urethral stenosis that precluded advancement of the cystoscope into the bladder.’
- ‘About a half hour later, the physician examines the inside of the bladder with a cystoscope, using blue light instead of white light.’
- ‘Once the end of the cystoscope is in the bladder, sterile water will be passed through it to fill the bladder up and make the whole of the lining visible.’
- ‘The urologist passes a cystoscope into the urethra to visualize the surgical area.’
- ‘In order to examine the bladder fully, the doctor may use the cystoscope to fill your bladder with a saline solution.’
- ‘If a stone is lodged in the ureter, a flexible narrow instrument called a cystoscope can be passed up through the urethra and bladder.’
- ‘Most bladder cancers are superficial and are usually removed using a probe that is passed into the bladder through a cystoscope.’
- ‘Imaging techniques can reveal the anatomy of the pelvic floor and lower urinary tract, and the inside of the bladder can be visualized directly with a cystoscope.’
- ‘The surgeon obtains a urine sample for culture from the bladder through the cystoscope.’
- ‘Lasers applied through ureteroscopes and cystoscopes can be used to destroy transitional cell carcinomas in both the upper and lower urinary tracts as well as to disintegrate urinary tract stones.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.