Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to or characterized by cysts.‘the ultrasound scan showed a cystic nodule’‘masses in the ovary may be cystic or solid’
- ‘Leading causes of kidney failure are diabetes, followed by hypertension, glomerulonephritis, and cystic kidney and urologic diseases.’
- ‘Our preoperative diagnosis included a pericardial/thymic cyst or cystic tumor, displacing the heart and compromising cardiac function.’
- ‘Histologically, these lesions form a spectrum of tumors ranging from benign cystic adenomas to proliferative cystic sebaceous tumors.’
- ‘Tumours of the liver may be cystic or solid, benign or malignant.’
- ‘Multiple areas of tumor necrosis, cystic degeneration, and old hemorrhage were present.’
- ‘Sectioning of the mass revealed a mixed solid and cystic appearance with the cysts ranging from 1.0 to 3.0 cm in diameter.’
- ‘Macroscopically, the largest mass in the lobectomy specimen was firm and white with cystic degeneration and stippling calcification.’
- ‘The brain lesion was subsequently biopsied and diagnosed as metastatic adenoid cystic carcinoma.’
- ‘Craniopharyngiomas are solid or cystic tumors arising from the remnants of Rathke's pouch.’
- ‘The differential diagnoses for a cystic lesion in the thyroid region include TDCs and cystic degeneration in neoplasm or goiter.’
- 1.1Zoology (of a parasite or other organism) enclosed in a cyst.‘the cystic stage’
2Relating to the urinary bladder or the gallbladder.‘the cystic artery’
- ‘Gallstones can migrate from their primary site of origin in the gallbladder through the cystic duct and into the common bile duct.’
- ‘The cystic artery is ligated and transected and the gallbladder is dissected from the gallbladder fossa and the right hepatic lobe.’
- ‘Branches of the cystic artery originating from the right hepatic artery provide the gallbladder's blood supply.’
- ‘Bile acids and other constituents of bile produced in the liver are carried to the gall bladder via the hepatic and cystic ducts.’
- ‘The gallbladder and its cystic duct join the hepatic duct to form the common bile duct, which drains into the lumen of the duodenum.’
- ‘The diagnosis of a metastatic follicular carcinoma prompted a repeat computed topographic scan and ultrasound of the larger cystic renal mass to rule out synchronous involvement of the kidney.’
- ‘The superficial branch of the cystic artery runs along the peritoneal surface of the left side of the gallbladder.’
- ‘Once soluble in bile, bilirubin is transported through the biliary and cystic ducts to enter the gallbladder, where it is stored, or it passes through Vater's ampulla to enter the duodenum.’
- ‘He transects the cystic duct and divides the cystic artery with electrosurgery before removing the gallbladder.’
- ‘Obstruction of the cystic duct causes the intraluminal pressure within the gall bladder to increase and, together with cholesterol supersaturated bile, triggers an acute inflammatory response.’
Mid 17th century (originally referring to the gallbladder): from French cystique or modern Latin cysticus, from late Latin cystis (see cyst).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.