One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A surgical operation to remove the urinary bladder.
- ‘As a result of the review, five radical cystectomies were avoided.’
- ‘Choosing a hospital that either performs many cystectomies or has a high nurse-to-patient ratio minimizes post-operative complications after the procedure, according to a new study.’
- ‘A radical cystectomy and prostatectomy with bilateral pelvic lymphadenectomy and appendectomy were performed.’
- ‘All patients underwent cystectomy for bladder cancer and had regional lymph node metastases at the time of surgery.’
- ‘A radical cystectomy with bilateral pelvic lymph node dissection and creation of orthotopic neobladder was performed.’
- ‘The patient became transfusion dependent and subsequently underwent cystectomy and ileal conduit urinary diversion.’
- ‘The urologist recommended a radical cystectomy and ileal conduit as the best chance for a possible cure.’
- ‘In extreme cases, surgical interventions, such as a cystectomy and ileocystoplasty procedure, have been used.’
- ‘Radical cystectomy was performed 1 month after the initial operation.’
- ‘The patient made a full recovery after a partial cystectomy.’
- ‘A cystoscopic biopsy of the midline anterior wall of the bladder revealed a mucinous adenocarcinoma, which was treated by wide partial cystectomy.’
- ‘This patient underwent total cystectomy, and the resection specimen showed more typical areas of high-grade urothelial carcinoma with several prominent areas of gland formation.’
- ‘One case each of leiomyosarcoma involved the bladder and kidney and had been treated by partial cystectomy and total nephrectomy, respectively.’
- ‘Biopsies of cystoscopically evident flat lesions were performed, and the patient subsequently underwent a radical cystectomy.’
2A surgical operation to remove an abnormal cyst.‘an ovarian cystectomy’
- ‘During a laparotomy for ovarian cystectomy on a 38-year-old woman, the surgeon encountered extensive adhesions, making identification of the anatomic landmarks difficult.’
- ‘Her medical history included a cholecystectomy, appendectomy, and ovarian cystectomy for a benign cyst, all performed approximately 20 years before this presentation.’
- ‘She had a history of a right ovarian cystectomy several years earlier but no history of sexually transmitted diseases or pelvic inflammatory disease.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.