Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1"( plural cystectomies ) "A surgical operation to remove the urinary bladder.
- ‘In extreme cases, surgical interventions, such as a cystectomy and ileocystoplasty procedure, have been used.’
- ‘Radical cystectomy was performed 1 month after the initial operation.’
- ‘The patient became transfusion dependent and subsequently underwent cystectomy and ileal conduit urinary diversion.’
- ‘This patient underwent total cystectomy, and the resection specimen showed more typical areas of high-grade urothelial carcinoma with several prominent areas of gland formation.’
- ‘The patient made a full recovery after a partial cystectomy.’
- ‘Choosing a hospital that either performs many cystectomies or has a high nurse-to-patient ratio minimizes post-operative complications after the procedure, according to a new study.’
- ‘The urologist recommended a radical cystectomy and ileal conduit as the best chance for a possible cure.’
- ‘A cystoscopic biopsy of the midline anterior wall of the bladder revealed a mucinous adenocarcinoma, which was treated by wide partial cystectomy.’
- ‘One case each of leiomyosarcoma involved the bladder and kidney and had been treated by partial cystectomy and total nephrectomy, respectively.’
- ‘All patients underwent cystectomy for bladder cancer and had regional lymph node metastases at the time of surgery.’
- ‘A radical cystectomy and prostatectomy with bilateral pelvic lymphadenectomy and appendectomy were performed.’
- ‘A radical cystectomy with bilateral pelvic lymph node dissection and creation of orthotopic neobladder was performed.’
- ‘As a result of the review, five radical cystectomies were avoided.’
- ‘Biopsies of cystoscopically evident flat lesions were performed, and the patient subsequently underwent a radical cystectomy.’
2A surgical operation to remove an abnormal cyst.‘an ovarian cystectomy’
- ‘She had a history of a right ovarian cystectomy several years earlier but no history of sexually transmitted diseases or pelvic inflammatory disease.’
- ‘Her medical history included a cholecystectomy, appendectomy, and ovarian cystectomy for a benign cyst, all performed approximately 20 years before this presentation.’
- ‘During a laparotomy for ovarian cystectomy on a 38-year-old woman, the surgeon encountered extensive adhesions, making identification of the anatomic landmarks difficult.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.