One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Having straight parallel sides and a circular or oval cross-section; in the shape or form of a cylinder.‘a cylindrical plastic container’‘the cavity is roughly cylindrical’
- ‘The litter bin has a stainless-steel cylindrical body with a polythene liner providing a capacity of up to 70 litres.’
- ‘A gallery room was dominated by a freestanding crocheted tent - cylindrical, with a conical top.’
- ‘They sell hundreds of optical quality cylindrical lenses.’
- ‘Each area contains workspaces equipped with cylindrical, mobile partitions.’
- ‘Standing at a distance from the sculpture, we see a cylindrical container perched on a tall, square-topped, three-legged stool.’
- ‘To the right of the entrance portico is a cylindrical tower which contains the study centre.’
- ‘Because the bore is cylindrical, clarinets are much cheaper to make than oboes.’
- ‘I also thought of the huge cylindrical fuel storage tanks, with stairs that circle around the outside.’
- ‘The sculpture is made up of seven cylindrical blue tubes.’
- ‘He wore a tall cylindrical hat.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.