One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small, barrel-shaped stone object with a hole down the center and an incised design or cuneiform inscription. It was originally rolled on clay when soft to indicate ownership or to authenticate a document and was used chiefly in Mesopotamia from the late 4th to the 1st millennium BC.
- ‘The earliest known gems are cylinder seals made in Babylon about 4000 BC.’
- ‘Those cabinets contained arguably the world's finest collection of absolutely exquisite cylinder seals and the world's finest collection of Greek, Roman, Islamic and Arabic gold and silver coins.’
- ‘On display are marvelous examples of statuary, jewelry, architectural elements, cylinder seals, and various decorative objects.’
- ‘Despite the disaster in the museum, virtually all 80,000 of the institution's cuneiform tablets appear to be safe, as do most of the precious Mesopotamian cylinder seals.’
- ‘More than 50 museums from countries in Europe, Asia and the Middle East contributed nearly 400 rare works of art including sculpture, jewelry, vessels, weapons, inlays, cylinder seals and tablets.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.