Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1An instrument for measuring circular arcs.
2An instrument attached to a bicycle for measuring the distance it travels.
- ‘The cyclometer on my bicycle registered 2921 miles this year.’
- ‘At minimum, the average cyclometer's functions include speed, distance, maximum speed, average speed, a clock, and a timer.’
- ‘As I am fan of cycling now, I bought a new cyclometer at price of 120 RMB.’
- ‘Finally, one day, I gave my front tire a spin to see if the cyclometer still worked.’
- ‘The serious aerobic athlete, mountaineer, or alpine skier who doesn't mind wearing something that looks like a cyclometer.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.