One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A curve (resembling a series of arches) traced by a point on a circle being rolled along a straight line.
- ‘Neile's parabola was the first algebraic curve to have its arc length calculated; only the arc lengths of transcendental curves such as the cycloid and the logarithmic spiral had been calculated before this.’
- ‘Viviani determined the tangent to the cycloid but he was not the first to succeed in this.’
- ‘To estimate the relative surface area of basal lamina and apertures, we used a line intercept technique with cycloids.’
- ‘He defines evolutes and involutes of curves and, after giving some elementary properties, finds the evolutes of the cycloid and of the parabola.’
- ‘Many famous mathematicians, including Descartes, have worked on a class of curves called cycloids.’
Mid 17th century: from Greek kukloeidēs ‘circular’, from kuklos ‘circle’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.