Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Cross-country racing on bicycles.
- ‘Today, the company churns out a huge range of road, mountain, cyclo-cross, triathlon, single-speed and tandem bikes.’
- ‘With the six week hill-climb season which traditionally follows the road racing season now at an end the winter discipline of cyclo-cross has taken over as the main focal point of cycle sport.’
- ‘The Three Peaks is arguably the world's toughest cyclo-cross event with competitors coming from as far as Australia and America.’
- ‘The UK track and road-racing season is drawing to a close and Dacey has no plans to enter any cyclo-cross or mountain bike races.’
- ‘Why is it that cyclo-cross bikes seem to use cantilever brakes in lieu of a linear pull V-brake?’
- ‘Schweitzer is an avid cyclist and rides road, mountain, cyclo-cross and tandem bikes.’
- ‘That year, racing off-road in the Welsh cyclo-cross championship, she beat all her male rivals to the under-12 title.’
- ‘It's painful for cyclo-cross aficionados to forego racing season.’
- ‘McBain is now turning his thoughts to the forthcoming cyclo-cross championship, where a fourth title beckons.’
- ‘Armstrong said that while he is retiring from cycling, he will keep fit and perhaps take part in mountain bike or cyclo-cross races from time to time.’
- ‘Cyclo-cross is a mass-start race, and according to US Cycling Federation rules, bikes used in mass-start events may not have objects that protrude forward.’
- ‘It's my first ever victory, either on the road or at cyclo-cross.’
- ‘Andy Applegate is an elite-level road, cyclo-cross, and mountain-bike racer.’
- ‘A new technical edict from cycling's international governing body has sent professional cyclo-cross racers scrambling for new equipment.’
- ‘With a superb performance, Eric Stone has finished tenth in the world professional cyclo-cross championship near Padua, Italy.’
- ‘I have a some teammates that are really into cyclo-cross racing.’
- ‘Paul's immediate sights are on the national cyclo-cross championships in January, when most of his fellow competitors will be aged 16.’
- ‘The race takes in the summits of Ingleborough, Whernside and Penyghent and is rated the toughest cyclo-cross event.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.