Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Undergo or cause to undergo a reaction in which one part of a molecule becomes linked to another to form a closed ring.
- ‘Subsequently, 8'-hydroxyABA cyclizes to form phaseic acid which may be further reduced to dihydrophaseic acid in some tissues.’
- ‘The semialdehyde cyclizes spontaneously to Dpyrroline - 5-carboxylate which is then reduced to proline by an NADPH-dependent reductase.’
- ‘These extensions, called cohesive ends, are complementary and enable the chromosome to cyclize in an infected cell.’
- ‘The biradical can revert to the starting material, cyclize to give a cyclobutanol derivative, or in our case, fragment to an alkene and an enol component.’
- ‘Quantitation of the ligation efficiencies shows that 13% of the 40-mer cyclized, but 82% of the 42-mer cyclized.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.