Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who rides a bicycle.
- ‘Bury has numerous cycle lanes and special facilities for cyclists including parking in the town.’
- ‘Because cyclists burn so much energy we have to eat high energy food such as pasta.’
- ‘The agency said that at some point cyclists had to leave the new cycle path to join the carriageway.’
- ‘Mr Kind wants the road repaired so that it can be safely used by pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders.’
- ‘There is a place for off-road cycle lanes, but cyclists have the right to use the road as much as anyone else.’
- ‘The German cyclist tested positive for amphetamines in June while recovering from a knee injury.’
- ‘He became a keen cyclist and had a bicycle specially made for the end-to-end challenge.’
- ‘Whether a cycle lane is beneficial to cyclists is doubtful as there are cars parked in the cycle lane most of the time.’
- ‘Ask the regular cyclists, and they will chorus that the city is never friendly to them.’
- ‘One of the big problems for cyclists in Australia is that drivers feel no empathy for them.’
- ‘Cars are driven so fast on that road that cyclists are likely to be hit by them.’
- ‘Employees are being encouraged to leave their cars at home as we have shower facilities for cyclists.’
- ‘Dogs do have a natural instinct to go after moving objects and may start chasing cars, cyclists or joggers.’
- ‘All this bellicosity towards cyclists is based on the notion that every bike is ridden by a maniac on two wheels.’
- ‘Moves to give cyclists new rights of way at the expense of motorists have been welcomed by a York cycling group.’
- ‘So I started to cycle as fast as I could and soon began to catch up with the other cyclists.’
- ‘There is nothing to stop cyclists using the pavement if they walk with their bikes.’
- ‘Among the many things that make me nervous when driving on the roads here, joggers and cyclists are the worst.’
- ‘A keen cyclist is to live out his dream by riding across the finish line of the Tour de France.’
- ‘Increasing the number of cyclists is a straightforward way of making cycling much safer.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.