Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A phylum established for a minute marine invertebrate ("Symbion pandora") discovered in the 1990s attached to the mouthparts of lobsters. It is related to the phyla Bryozoa and Entoprocta.
- ‘The marine Cycliophora is the most recently described phylum in the animal kingdom.’
- ‘Also unresolved are the phylogenetic positions of Cycloneuralia, Chaetognatha, Gnathostomulida, Cycliophora, and Micrognathozoa.’
- ‘In the original description we stated that the Cycliophora are related to Entoprocta / Ectoprocta.’
- ‘The remaining members of this novel metazoan clade were Rotifera, Acanthocephala (together Syndermata), and Cycliophora.’
- ‘The phylogenetic position of Cycliophora is not settled, and more ultrastructural and molecular data are needed.’
Modern Latin (plural), from Greek kuklios circular + pherein to bear.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.