Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of a number of proteins associated with the cycle of cell division that are thought to initiate certain processes of mitosis.
- ‘Tyrosine kinases associated with cyclins have also been shown to be affected by vitamin K, which can lead to cell cycle arrest and cell death.’
- ‘In general, cyclins are proteins that regulate the cell cycle by combining with cyclin dependent kinases to form an enzymatic complex.’
- ‘It is through changes in the production of cyclins during the cell cycle that the activity of the genes controlling it are themselves regulated.’
- ‘It has been reported recently that regulated nuclear transport of cyclins and other proteins is required for cell cycle progression.’
- ‘Proteasome degradation of cyclins involved in cell cycle regulation has been well documented.’
1980s: from cycle + -in.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.