Any of a number of proteins associated with the cycle of cell division which are thought to initiate certain processes of mitosis.
- ‘Proteasome degradation of cyclins involved in cell cycle regulation has been well documented.’
- ‘It has been reported recently that regulated nuclear transport of cyclins and other proteins is required for cell cycle progression.’
- ‘It is through changes in the production of cyclins during the cell cycle that the activity of the genes controlling it are themselves regulated.’
- ‘Tyrosine kinases associated with cyclins have also been shown to be affected by vitamin K, which can lead to cell cycle arrest and cell death.’
- ‘In general, cyclins are proteins that regulate the cell cycle by combining with cyclin dependent kinases to form an enzymatic complex.’
1980s: from cycle + -in.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.