One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Stocks in cyclical companies (those whose success varies with the seasonal or economic cycle).
- ‘Tobacco stocks have suffered from sector rotation into cyclicals, and have underperformed the market in relative terms.’
- ‘The bulls-and-bears battle today is over old-fashioned cyclicals - where upbeat strategists say to put your money.’
- ‘If the economic outlook seems bleak, investors should be ready to unload cyclicals before these stocks tumble and end up back where they started.’
- ‘Portfolios should currently be holding defensive stocks such as financials, pharmaceuticals or utilities but should be gradually moving to cyclicals such as capital goods, technology and telecoms as the year progresses.’
- ‘All you have to do is be just a little early, or just a little late, on cyclicals and you lose all the advantage of their occasional strong advances, which are usually short-lived.’
- ‘We moved a bit more into cyclicals last month, on the premise that we expected consumer-oriented stocks to have a bounce.’
- ‘Trading action in the financials, cyclicals and many bluechips is suggesting an unfolding bear market.’
- ‘Manufacturing stocks aren't called cyclicals for nothing: in an economic downturn, they crash.’
- ‘Industrial cyclicals and consumer cyclicals have major problems.’
- ‘An unprecedented and happy mix of sound fundamentals and cyclicals is the leitmotif for the Indian economy and business in the short term.’
- ‘We didn't aggressively play cyclicals and we should have taken larger positions in small market capitalisation internet stocks.’
- ‘Consumer cyclicals - things like housing, autos, and retailing - have made gains in anticipation of a better economy later this year.’
- ‘Some of our more favoured sectors currently include basic materials, selected consumer cyclicals and operationally secure telecommunications operators.’
- ‘I think consumer cyclicals make sense because of the resilience of consumers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.