One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cyclic version of the nucleotide guanosine monophosphate. In cellular metabolism, it is a secondary messenger affecting cell growth and division.
- ‘We thought we could more strongly apply the brake on hypertrophy in the heart if we used sildenafil to prevent the breakdown of cyclic GMP.’
- ‘The carbon monoxide activates the enzyme guanylyl cyclase, as does nitric oxide, regulating the intracellular levels of the second messenger cyclic GMP, which in turn regulates cellular activity.’
- ‘The resulting vasodilation has been potentially attributed to inhibition of cyclic nucleotide phosphodiesterases, with resulting increases in intracellular levels of cyclic AMP and cyclic GMP accompanied by decreases in Ca.’
- ‘Guanylyl-cyclase activators are nitric oxide donors that increase cyclic GMP.’
- ‘A second messenger of internal cellular communication - cyclic GMP, produced in response to nitric oxide - is a key regulator of vascular smooth muscle cell contractility, growth, and differentiation.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.