Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A cyclic form of adenosine monophosphate (adenylic acid) that plays a major role in controlling many enzyme-catalyzed processes in living cells.
- ‘The exact mechanism whereby ISM increases platelet cAMP appears to be that of inhibition of cyclic AMP phosphodiesterase.’
- ‘Diurnal changes in the plasma levels of cortisol, epinephrine, cyclic AMP and histamine are thought to be the cause of this exacerbation.’
- ‘In the 1970s everything in physiology and medicine was explained by cyclic AMP levels going up or down in cells.’
- ‘By inhibition of certain enzymes, it allows an increase in the concentration of the ‘second messenger’, cyclic AMP, within cells, enhancing in turn the systems which this activates.’
- ‘The product of adenyl cyclase is cyclic AMP, which quickly degrades in postmortem brain so it cannot be measured.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.