One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cyclic version of the nucleotide guanosine monophosphate. In cellular metabolism, it is a secondary messenger affecting cell growth and division.
- ‘We thought we could more strongly apply the brake on hypertrophy in the heart if we used sildenafil to prevent the breakdown of cyclic GMP.’
- ‘A second messenger of internal cellular communication - cyclic GMP, produced in response to nitric oxide - is a key regulator of vascular smooth muscle cell contractility, growth, and differentiation.’
- ‘Guanylyl-cyclase activators are nitric oxide donors that increase cyclic GMP.’
- ‘The carbon monoxide activates the enzyme guanylyl cyclase, as does nitric oxide, regulating the intracellular levels of the second messenger cyclic GMP, which in turn regulates cellular activity.’
- ‘The resulting vasodilation has been potentially attributed to inhibition of cyclic nucleotide phosphodiesterases, with resulting increases in intracellular levels of cyclic AMP and cyclic GMP accompanied by decreases in Ca.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.