One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cyclic form of adenosine monophosphate (adenylic acid) that plays a major role in controlling many enzyme-catalyzed processes in living cells.
- ‘Diurnal changes in the plasma levels of cortisol, epinephrine, cyclic AMP and histamine are thought to be the cause of this exacerbation.’
- ‘By inhibition of certain enzymes, it allows an increase in the concentration of the ‘second messenger’, cyclic AMP, within cells, enhancing in turn the systems which this activates.’
- ‘The exact mechanism whereby ISM increases platelet cAMP appears to be that of inhibition of cyclic AMP phosphodiesterase.’
- ‘In the 1970s everything in physiology and medicine was explained by cyclic AMP levels going up or down in cells.’
- ‘The product of adenyl cyclase is cyclic AMP, which quickly degrades in postmortem brain so it cannot be measured.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.