Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A cyclic form of adenosine monophosphate (adenylic acid) that plays a major role in controlling many enzyme-catalyzed processes in living cells.
- ‘The product of adenyl cyclase is cyclic AMP, which quickly degrades in postmortem brain so it cannot be measured.’
- ‘By inhibition of certain enzymes, it allows an increase in the concentration of the ‘second messenger’, cyclic AMP, within cells, enhancing in turn the systems which this activates.’
- ‘Diurnal changes in the plasma levels of cortisol, epinephrine, cyclic AMP and histamine are thought to be the cause of this exacerbation.’
- ‘The exact mechanism whereby ISM increases platelet cAMP appears to be that of inhibition of cyclic AMP phosphodiesterase.’
- ‘In the 1970s everything in physiology and medicine was explained by cyclic AMP levels going up or down in cells.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.