Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The Monday following Thanksgiving, promoted by online retailers as a day for exceptional bargains.
- ‘You can hit up Cyber Monday in your pajamas.’
- ‘As more people count on Cyber Monday for big deals on holiday shopping, smaller retailers face stiff competition from big-box stores.’
- ‘Cyber Monday, the biggest Internet shopping day of the year, happens on November 30.’
- ‘Meanwhile, most of these sites were again busy on Cyber Monday, the first of the week following Black Friday.’
- ‘For those new to the internet, Cyber Monday is the online version of Black Friday, where internet retailers offer deals for desk slaves.’
- ‘Sophos warns consumers and businesses alike to be mindful of the risks on Cyber Monday and to utilize proper security measures.’
- ‘Cyber Monday, the less hyped effect of online shoppers taking advantage of post-Black Friday bargains, has become a major shopping day in its own right.’
- ‘If you want to keep your Cyber Monday search simple (and potentially faster), start here.’
- ‘Their extensive database of more than 700 stores has your Cyber Monday needs covered.’
- ‘Online shopping is now a norm, so people refer to the Monday after Thanksgiving as Cyber Monday.’
- ‘Of course, the online equivalent of retail's Black Friday is Cyber Monday.’
- ‘However, for the last two years, Cyber Monday - the Monday following Black Friday - has become the most popular shopping day for online consumers.’
- ‘What did help was the realization that Cyber Monday was only a couple of days away.’
- ‘Most big online retailers now offer special Cyber Monday deals to keep the stream of sales moving along through the holiday season.’
- ‘A large number of online data providers have reported on the popularity of the little mechanical hamster right after Black Friday / Cyber Monday.’
- ‘Half of retailers will distribute promotions and deals to shoppers through a special Cyber Monday email.’
- ‘Retailers survived Cyber Monday, the busiest online shopping day of the year, without a major cybersecurity incident.’
- ‘We created a list of the five best websites to find Cyber Monday deals below.’
Early 21st century: on the pattern of Black Friday.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.