Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An annual award to the outstanding pitcher in each of the major leagues.
- ‘With Gibson, Koufax, and Seaver as contemporaries, it doesn't surprise me that Marichal never won a Cy Young Award.’
- ‘McLain continued to pitch well in 1969, sharing the Cy Young Award with Baltimore's Mike Cuellar.’
- ‘His record also includes a 20-win season in 1989 and a Cy Young Award in 1986 when he led the Astros to a division title by pitching a no-hitter to clinch the division.’
- ‘Mike Marshall, of course, won the 1974 National League Cy Young Award with the Los Angeles Dodgers.’
- ‘Gagne became the ninth relief pitcher to win a Cy Young Award, the first since Dennis Eckersley won it in 1992.’
Named in honor of Cy Young.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.