Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Cute to a sentimental or mawkish extent.‘hair pulled back in cutesy little bows’
endearing, adorable, lovable, sweet, lovely, appealing, engaging, delightful, dear, darling, winning, winsome, charming, enchantingView synonyms
- ‘The album is about a dog with authoritarian tendencies, which alone makes it dangerously cutesy - but even worse, much worse is the singing.’
- ‘The cutesy, mincing vocals are dotted with ill-advised wailing and occasional outright mimicry of dudes like Beck.’
- ‘For one, I cringe at the idea of posing for a cutesy People picture which would run below a less-than-warm review.’
- ‘It sounds really corporate, but just think about it for a minute - if you were building a site about hamsters, then you might do something kind of cutesy.’
- ‘Everything is smart and sarcastic and divisive and nasty and cutesy.’
- ‘It was unsigned, without even the usual cutesy pseudonym.’
- ‘The second flaw has to do with the film's conclusion, which kind of subverts the film's entire premise and makes it way too cutesy.’
- ‘Tegan and Sara's voices are equally cutesy but while one is cosy and hopeful, the other is only a kitten-heeled step away from a bolshy banshee.’
- ‘Worse, Filler constantly breaks into cutesy song snippets, a habit that grows less endearing every time it happens.’
- ‘No, I don't think a cutesy cartoon name would suit this car.’
- ‘But there's no real-life pianist savant here, no cutesy romance, no saving grace.’
- ‘At which point, wise old Mork gave one of his annoyingly cutesy little smiles, and you realised that he had been teaching those kids a Valuable Life Lesson all along.’
- ‘This film veers wildly from horror to cutesy romantic comedy.’
- ‘Again, this helps to make the relationship between Ken and Sora less cutesy and more sweet.’
- ‘Paint over any cutesy motifs, such as kittens or silly flowers, on furniture - paint is super cheap!’
- ‘That level of commerce, supported by cutesy advertisements, is driven by profits, not a desire to keep baby bums dry or to give parents more time.’
- ‘And speaking of cutesy, it feels impossible to resist calling it the I'm Okay, I'm Okay of modern times.’
- ‘Though Puffy's image is occasionally cutesy, the singers themselves didn't play up the cute.’
- ‘THQ, normally famed for cutesy Disney titles such as Finding Nemo, has entered into the dark world of adult gaming with this gritty adaptation.’
- ‘Every August we must come up with cutesy, funny, witty, ingenious and/or lively headlines with the word World in them.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.