One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Deflate someone's exaggerated sense of self-worth.
- ‘It was down to three and the two short stack players weren't long in cutting Gary down to size as his inexperience showed as he let a massive chip lead erode away and eventually disappear all-together.’
- ‘Some people can be twisted and awful and will do anything to cut you down to size because of their own insecurities and their own issues.’
- ‘Boy, you certainly cut him down to size there young lady!’
- ‘We have to cut you down to size, expose your tricks, purge you.’
- ‘I spent most of last week composing crushing speeches that would cut him down to size but when it came to it I just wanted to talk to him, really.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.