One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a fabric or garment) cut obliquely or diagonally across the grain.
diagonal, cross, slant, oblique, angleView synonyms
- ‘The sheath of fibers was made by sewing into a tube a strip of organza cut on the bias.’
- ‘Fabrics cut on the bias hang nicely, swing and drape beautifully. However, they may also stretch.’
- ‘Then I trimmed that seam down to 1/4 ‘all around and finished it with a Hong Kong finish, using a sheer fabric cut on the bias.’’
- ‘A curvy girl might choose an A-line in a jersey or other stretch fabric, which will hug curves the right way, while dresses in silk or satin cut on the bias might accentuate problem areas because of the way they catch light.’
- ‘A-line skirt or cut on the bias, what will work best for your shape?’
- ‘Garment pieces cut on the bias should be pressed with the lengthwise grainline, to avoid stretching.’
- ‘But the really brilliant part is that they're cut on the bias, which means they drape perfectly, hiding what you want to hide and accentuating what you want to show off.’
- ‘Garments cut on the bias appear softer and more fluid, have more stretch, and are more supple than those cut on the lengthwise or crosswise grain.’
- ‘The undercollar is traditionally cut on the bias in two pieces with a center back seam.’
- ‘As for other options, one of our most stylish friends says that she buys a beautiful designer dress for each pregnancy, and because it's cut on the bias, it lasts her the entire nine months.’
- ‘‘We've gone for longer length skirts cut on the bias, mid calf and quite straight with a single vent at the back.’’
- ‘Garments cut on the bias fit differently than garments cut on straight grain.’
- ‘Maybe look for skirts cut on the bias, A-line, anything to emphasize your waist as being small and skim over your hips.’
- ‘What about the jacket facings - would they have to be cut on the bias or the grain?’
- ‘Cut on the bias for a more comfortable fit, this is a perfect option for keeping cool on warmer nights.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.