Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small, eellike fish with a tapering body and fins that form a pointed tail, typically found in deep water.
- ‘Courtenay describes the sound producing mechanism of adult striped cusk-eels, and which is found only in the males.’
- ‘This is the only cusk-eel sound that has been identified to the species level.’
- ‘We believe that our observations suggest widespread spawning of striped cusk-eels within estuaries of both the north and south shores of Cape Cod.’
- ‘Calling was often initiated while cusk-eels were still partially or entirely burrowed.’
- ‘A cusk eel takes refuge in a crevice, under an umbrella of gorgonian corals.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.