One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A game played on ice, especially in Scotland and Canada, in which large round flat stones are slid across the surface toward a mark. Members of a team use brooms to sweep the surface of the ice in the path of the stone to control its speed and direction.
curly, crimped, curled, curling, frizzy, frizzed, wavy, ringletted, ringlettyView synonyms
- ‘She was fascinated by the strategies of curling whilst watching the Olympic gold medal-winning team two years ago.’
- ‘In its essence, bowls is a combination of curling, chess and mini-golf.’
- ‘The sport of curling is a big deal here - Scotland won a gold medal at the last Olympics.’
- ‘Can the nation which gave the world golf and curling and revolutionised football in Victorian times look forward to a prosperous and healthy sporting future?’
- ‘It was the first time curling had been staged at the games.’
- ‘It's a popular centre for the sport of curling, an old game which is especially associated with Scotland.’
- ‘If you knew that the preliminary rounds of Olympic curling began this week, you're probably on the team.’
- ‘The next sports to follow will be athletics, curling and rugby.’
- ‘But curling is not a big game in this country and the tabloids can't see past football.’
- ‘Tonight, amid a galaxy of sporting stars, curling will be back in the limelight.’
- ‘The unknown sport of curling grips the nation as the British woman win the gold medal with the very last stone.’
- ‘Well the modern game of curling really comes from Scotland.’
- ‘The curling was part of the grade six physical education program at Elmdale School.’
- ‘She enjoyed women's baseball in her younger days, and later she took up curling, especially enjoying bonspiels.’
- ‘Currently Halifax, which, in sporting terms, has hosted big curling, ice skating and ice hockey events, has one 10,000-seat arena.’
- ‘Inspired by their parents, the two took up curling in 1987 at the age of 12.’
- ‘He enjoys the sportsmanship of the sport so much he is a promoter and organizer of curling events.’
- ‘He was draw master for the senior mens' mixed curling for a while, as well as committee member for the Senior Golf Tournament for men and mixed, for a number of years.’
- ‘Imagine the Scottish curling or swimming championships taking place here, in the off-season for golf.’
- ‘I had only the vaguest notion of curling until the recent 2002 Winter Olympics in Utah.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.