One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1also curdsA soft, white substance formed when milk sours, used as the basis for cheese.
- ‘Spoon some cherry compote around the dish and accompany with some milk curd.’
- ‘In a bowl, mix together goat cheese curd, sugar, cream, sour cream and lemon zest.’
- ‘The report made the case for reducing the number of plants processing milk into butter, milk powder and curd from 11 to four.’
- ‘Products labelled as containing lactose, cream, butter, cheese and cheese flavour, curd, milk, milk solids, milk powder and whey, as well as margarine containing milk solids, should be avoided.’
- ‘Whey, a by-product of cheese and curd manufacturing, was once considered a waste product.’
- ‘If you've vegetables, milk, curd and cheese in the refrigerator, you can manage on your own somehow.’
- ‘In more recent times, he says, his family cut, tied and stacked crops, and took such homemade fare as butter, cheese, curd, eggs and corn to Scarborough market to sell, on a pony and trap.’
- ‘It had been raining steadily for a few hours, and the driver was perched in a pool of liquid, still white as curd.’
- ‘It recently introduced modification of the valve for use on the outlet of a cheese vat, so cheese curd can pass through the valve.’
- ‘It is made by fermenting residue left behind after the separation of milk and curd (the whey).’
- ‘It reminded me of the moulds in curd, white cloudy days, the froth of soaps and the upper - cream of a vanilla shake.’
- ‘In India, this offering traditionally contained three sweet substances: molasses, honey and sugar and three white substances: curd, butter and milk.’
- ‘Try eating nonfat mozzarella or cottage cheese, as each curd is rich in a long-acting protein called casein, giving you a steady trickle of amino acids that lasts into the night.’
- ‘A small bowlful of curd can turn a whole pitcher of milk into curd.’
- ‘Siva is always worshipped with Panchamruta - a mix of milk, butter, curd, honey and sugar.’
- ‘The visitors were also shown the units that make butter, ghee, curd and ice-cream.’
- ‘Foods that should be consumed in limited quantity are dals, dried seeds, milk, curd, cheese, fish, eggs and chicken.’
- ‘Originally, such cheesecakes were made with soft, home-made curd cheeses but these days we use light cream cheese from the supermarket.’
- ‘If your baby develops white spots that look like milk curd on the insides of the cheeks or on the tongue, this may be thrush.’
- ‘For the goat cheese gnocchi, in a medium bowl, combine the goat curd, ricotta cheese, and eggs for mix to combine.’
- 1.1 A fatty substance found between the flakes of poached salmon.
2The edible head of a cauliflower or similar plant.
- ‘Control broccoli curds were treated in the same way with 1% ethanol and 0.1% Tween 20.’
Late Middle English: of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.