One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tropical Asian plant of a genus that includes turmeric, zedoary, and other species that yield spices, dyes, and medicinal products.
- ‘Remember that curcumas do not emerge from dormancy until June… they are not dead!’
- ‘Extracted from the roots of the curcuma longa plant, curcumin is a member of the ginger family.’
- ‘We have imported a number of varieties from Asia: alpinias, costus, curcumas and hedychiums.’
- ‘The curcumas of the ginger family are natives of tropical Asia.’
- ‘Most curcumas do well in a shady or diffused light location on the landscape or as a patio plant in a decorative container.’
Modern Latin, from Arabic kurkum ‘saffron’, from Sanskrit kuṅkuma (so named because the colour of the spices resembles that of saffron).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.