One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A beetle of the weevil family, especially one which is a pest of fruit trees.
- ‘Normally, controlling pests is my greatest challenge, and the pea curculio is my greatest enemy.’
- ‘Repellent sprays help, provided the curculios have a flowering crab apple nearby on which to turn their attention.’
- ‘The three main insect pests that damage apple fruits are apple maggot flies, plum curculio, and codling moth.’
- ‘The single most destructive insect pest for Eastern growers - the infamous plum curculio - is unknown in the West.’
- ‘Now scientists have identified a natural odor, or pheromone, released by the male curculio weevil that attracts both males and females.’
Modern Latin, used as the genus name for weevils in the 18th century, now restricted to the nut weevils.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.