One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The weight of an automobile without occupants or baggage.
- ‘It truly is an ultralight automobile: curb weight of just 1,400 lb. for a four-passenger vehicle.’
- ‘He adds that it offers significantly improved roll stability at gross vehicle weight without a penalty to curb weight.’
- ‘And despite its relative lack of power and a curb weight of more than 5,500 pounds, Mercedes insiders still talk of zero-to - 60 mph acceleration in less than seven seconds.’
- ‘In spite of a competitive 3,000-pound curb weight in fully optioned trim, it is 1.7 times stiffer in bending and twice as stiff in torsion than its revered predecessor.’
- ‘The IRS will accept as qualifying for the deduction what the manufacturer says is the gross vehicle weight or curb weight.’
- ‘The base curb weight of the vehicle is 6,400 lb.’
- ‘The curb weight for the European-spec vehicle is 3,196 lb.’
- ‘With a curb weight of 45,320 pounds and a maximum payload weight of 38,680 pounds, the Buffalo measures 323 inches long, 97 inches wide and 117 inches high.’
- ‘So, to make a comparison, the '04 XL with buckets has a curb weight of 3,417 lb; the '05 XL has a curb weight of 3,490.’
- ‘Automobiles also can qualify, provided that their curb weight exceeds 6,000 lb.’
- ‘The extensive use of lightweight composite structures has allowed the design team to achieve a curb weight of a mere 857 kg.’
- ‘Overall, base curb weight is up 100 pounds - about 47 pounds of it in the front end.’
- ‘Both are silky smooth, although the bigger engine will be the choice for good performance, given the 1,845-kilogram curb weight.’
- ‘(The base curb weight is 3,336 lb.)’
- ‘Magnesium and carbon fiber parts are also used to help contain the total curb weight to less than 3150 pounds.’
- ‘In light of the fact that curb weight is up by more than 500 pounds - base curb weights range between 4,768 and 5,590 pounds - that's an excellent idea.’
- ‘But it seats two (golf-carts do, too), and measures 9.8 ft long, 5.25 ft wide, and 5.1 ft high and has a curb weight of 2,112 lb.’
- ‘They are animalistic in their stopping ability, but the long, hard pedal depressions required to halt it point out one of this platform's few weaknesses: cast-in-lead curb weights.’
- ‘These new 2005 compact pickups have heft and grunt that would embarrass many full-size pickups of five years ago as curb weights range up to 4,800 pounds and horsepower tops out at 265.’
- ‘The 2,500 lb. curb weight would be almost impossible to get completely in the air, but we weren't lifting it, we were just shifting the center of balance.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.