Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A market for selling shares not dealt with on the normal stock exchange.
- ‘The governing authorities shall have the power to establish and maintain, and to provide for the governing and regulation of curb markets.’
- ‘Meanwhile, private-equity funds are active traders in Vietnam's flourishing informal curb market in shares, which has a market capitalization of about $2 billion.’
- ‘The Department shall supervise and control curb markets and shall enforce the provisions of this Section.’
- ‘The curb market continued to exist, along with the formal banking system, through the 1980s.’
- ‘But if the banks were doing a better job of allocating capital in the first place, there would be less need for a curb market.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.