One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Denoting marks cut in megalithic monuments consisting of a circular depression surrounded by concentric rings.
- ‘I should note that I do not support the idea that cup-and-ring patterns are maps of stellar constellations.’
- ‘Lichen growths also have the further advantage of matching quite well the typical scale of cup-and-ring art.’
- ‘There are at least nine cup-and-ring motifs with a rough-pecked circular outline and a cupule as the central point.’
- ‘She found it was known nationally as a site where there were once ancient cup-and-ring stones and was home to a Bronze Age burial mound.’
- ‘What, really, is so brilliant about their white-elephant buildings and endless statues, compared to a leaf-shaped arrowhead or a cup-and-ring marked stone?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.