Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a cloud) developed in a predominantly vertical direction.
- ‘Cloud bands indicating shallow convective heat development maturing as shallow cumuliform cloud is the likely result.’
- ‘Snow can form in cumuliform clouds and also in stratiform clouds - altostratus and nimbostratus.’
- ‘The nature of showers coming from cumuliform clouds means that often the sun can be seen while the rain is falling.’
- ‘Today's classification system begins with two basic types: cumuliform and stratiform.’
- ‘Convection generally produces cumuliform clouds but may produce stratocumulus and altocumulus.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.