One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Well-educated people who appreciate the arts.
intellectuals, intelligent people, academics, scholars, learned people, literati, men and women of letters, cognoscenti, illuminati, highbrows, bluestockings, thinkers, brainsView synonyms
- ‘No sooner had the word got out when that issue became hot property among the culturati.’
- ‘Once in a generation, somebody in New York culturati circles - not the real heavy lifters, but the instant-replay analysts - drops a bomb that smolders for decades.’
- ‘The Coalition - abused and pilloried by the media and culturati for the last four years - have increased their majority.’
- ‘And so image-sensitive liberal, urbane, ironic culturati are going to want to prove their complex open-heartedness by indifferently swooning over her book.’
- ‘The sun was high, the coffee steaming, and clustered round a Salzburg garden table were six of Europe's most influential culturati.’
1980s: blend of culture and literati.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.