One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A plant variety that has been produced in cultivation by selective breeding. Cultivars are usually designated in the style Taxus baccata “Variegata.”.See also variety (sense 2)
- ‘Plants from winter-type cultivars were first vernalized and then kept in the greenhouse.’
- ‘Plants of a given cultivar are generally closely spaced in groups.’
- ‘At present most transgenic plants are crop varieties or cultivars and the changes they received have been very simple.’
- ‘These are in agreement with previous field research on dry matter partitioning in plants with different rice cultivars.’
- ‘Many cultivars have bicolored petals and a striking yellow center.’
1920s: blend of cultivate and variety.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.