One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A lively South American dance.
- ‘The cueca is a national dance of Chile.’
- ‘Visitors to the fair enjoy traditional crafts, sing the national anthem, dance the cueca, listen to folk music from the Andes and other parts of the country, and eat plenty of empanadas.’
- ‘During that day Chileans visit fondas (traditional palm-roofed shelters) where they eat empanadas (meat pastries), drink Chilean red wine, and dance the cueca, the country's national dance.’
- ‘We compare the lyrics of five traditional cuecas, selected from the oral tradition and identified from a period before 1980.’
- ‘The women, their partners in the cueca, the traditional Chilean courtship dance, must dance alone.’
Early 20th century: American Spanish, from zamacueca, also denoting a dance performed especially in Chile.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.