One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A spring-flowering, herbaceous plant with pale lilac flowers, growing in damp meadows and by streams.
- ‘Gama Valley is famous for the luxuriantly green forest, colorful cuckooflowers, limpid spring, deep and steep gorges and various birds.’
- ‘He wanders in the nearby hills and woods to gather cuckooflowers, cowslips, stitchworts, elder flowers and of course nettles.’
- ‘A stretch of damp marshy grassland containing rush species and occasional cuckooflowers runs along the western perimeter of the Southern Meadow.’
- ‘The meadows support a range of grasses and plants including the lilac-coloured blooms of cuckooflower or lady's smock.’
- ‘In drier areas one can expect to find wild angelicas, Iceland rush, cuckooflowers, red fescue, sea peas and many other species.’
Late 16th century: so named because it flowers at the time of year when the cuckoo is first heard calling.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.