One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A colorless form of zirconia that is very similar to diamond in refractivity and appearance.
- ‘Quickly he pulled out a magnetic pin about the size of the cubic zirconia jewels on my fingernails.’
- ‘Perhaps cubic zirconia is the rational man's choice, although I'd check with the intended before you spring it on her.’
- ‘If anyone asks, they're both just made out of humble little cubic zirconias.’
- ‘Convincing everyone in the room that you're wearing a diamond when in reality it's a cubic zirconia IS fun, but it still doesn't beat a good, hard, quality rock.’
- ‘To be fair, Pollard clearly strives to craft perfect pop songs, but is simply too restless or careless to separate the diamonds from the cubic zirconias.’
- ‘As someone I used to know once said, ‘Some days are diamonds, and others are cubic zirconia.’’
- ‘Then see how cute the little playground mauler looks with a pair of cubic zirconia clip-ons.’
- ‘It was a sterling silver star, with a clear gem in the centre… cubic zirconia, I thought.’
- ‘The magazine advertised a limited edition cubic zirconia butterfly necklace, with the proceeds benefiting California Wildfire ReLeaf.’
- ‘We have heard of genuine naugahyde, genuine cubic zirconia and even genuine plastic.’
- ‘The studs were cubic zirconia or some faux stone.’
- ‘Another guy said he could have had all those diamonds extracted and replaced with cubic zirconias in a matter of hours.’
- ‘I would never degrade myself so much as to compete for a crown made out of cubic zirconia.’
- ‘Since I can't tell cubic zirconia from diamonds I avoided the jewelry shops, although there were plenty of reputable places listed in the book that I could have visited.’
- ‘This is a man-made stone that sparkles more than diamonds, unlike cubic zirconia, which is obviously fake.’
- ‘Francois saw him as a bacteria, a street rat… cubic zirconia in our world of diamonds.’
- ‘Choose any colored cubic zirconia stone and give it to her when you're ready for a night of passion.’
- ‘He'd said that cubic zirconia was just as pretty as a diamond and that he would eventually replace it with the real thing after they were married.’
- ‘The sterling silver and three-carat cubic zirconia replica goes on sale at ASDA's 196 stores on Apr. 8, the day of the royal wedding.’
- ‘Get her a one hundred percent genuine tetrahedric zirconia - for when cubic zirconias don't make you look quite as cheap as you know you are!’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.