The determination of the volume of a solid.
- ‘The method of cubature was used to determine the discharges throughout the Strait.’
- ‘In addition, the cubature formulas are universal: their error is almost optimal in two different scales of function spaces.’
- ‘He applied his theories of generalised functions and of embeddings of function spaces to cubature formulas.’
- ‘This program can be used to answer questions which arise when constructing cubature formulas.’
- ‘This survey collects together theoretical results in the area of numerical cubature over triangles and is a vehicle for a current bibliography.’
Late 17th century: from the verb cube, on the pattern of quadrature.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.