One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cocktail typically containing cola, lime juice, rum, and a garnish of lime.
- ‘In the past it may have been daiquiris, planter's punch or a Cuba libre, but today the undisputed king of the rum drink is the mojito.’
- ‘Amanda couldn't wait to stretch out on the beach with a Cuba libre.’
- ‘We tried daiquiris at El Floridita where they were invented, Cuba libres at La Bodeguita del Medio where Ernest Hemingway used to hang out and mojitos sitting at the Cafe de Paris.’
- ‘He orders a pina colada, I a Cuba libre, which arrives with the cola in a separate carafe.’
- ‘So, off to the motel bar where generous rounds of Cuba libres and beer expedited bonding within the group of 16 handpicked divers.’
American Spanish, ‘free Cuba’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.