One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A synthetic violet dye, related to rosaniline, used as a stain in microscopy and as an antiseptic in the treatment of skin infections.
- ‘These stains include Congo red, thioflavin T, and crystal violet stains.’
- ‘The first dye is crystal violet and is fixed or mordanted in Gram positive bacteria by iodine.’
- ‘The cells were fixed by methanol, stained by crystal violet, and the number of plaques was counted.’
- ‘The cells were allowed to migrate for 5 hr; the migratory cells attached to the bottom surface of the membrane were stained with 0.1% crystal violet for 20 min at room temperature.’
- ‘Plates were incubated for 14 days after illumination, and cell survival was determined by counting numbers of colonies, after fixation with 70% EtOH and staining with crystal violet.’
- ‘Dishes were then rinsed with PBS and stained with 0.5% crystal violet in 20% ethanol.’
- ‘The culture medium was removed 72 h later, and the cells were fixed with 10% neutral buffered formalin and stained with 0.1% crystal violet for 30 min.’
- ‘After 7-10 days growth, colonies were fixed and stained with a solution containing 0.35% crystal violet in 35% ethanol.’
- ‘The supernatant was decanted, the cells were fixed with 95% ethanoliglacial acetic acid and stained with crystal violet.’
- ‘After incubation the agar layer was removed by aspiration, and the monolayer was stained with 0.1% crystal violet in ethanol for at least 15 min.’
- ‘Such bacteria do not stain purple with crystal violet and are known as Gram-negative.’
- ‘Each section was immersed for 1 min in an aqueous 0.01% solution of crystal violet that stained the thickened cells in the endocarp and the vascular tissue violet.’
- ‘After 7 days all dishes were stained with crystal violet and the colonies were counted.’
- ‘Results of conventional biochemical tests: Of the 51 culture isolates, 10 showed growth within two to three days on MacConkey agar without crystal violet and were designated as rapid growers.’
- ‘New and practical staining techniques on frozen tissues, such as modified trichrome and crystal violet stains, are welcome additions.’
- ‘About 1 week later, the cultures were fixed with methanol and stained with crystal violet.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.