One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Looking intently into a crystal ball with the aim of seeing images relating to future or distant events.
foretelling the future, forecasting the future, fortune telling, prediction, second sight, clairvoyance, prognostication, divination, soothsayingView synonyms
- ‘Along with charms and talismans, crystal-gazing and the invocation of spirits, he dismissed astrological prophecy and mystical revelation as ‘cheats and shifts to gull the sillier sort of people.’’
- ‘It might sound like the sort of question best left to crystal-gazing new agers, but there is growing evidence that the weird movies that play in our heads every night actually mean something.’
- ‘It can involve elaborate rituals for cleaning the ball and for conducting the crystal-gazing sessions.’
- 1.1 Attempting to forecast the future.
- ‘Historians don't do crystal-gazing.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.