Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Looking intently into a crystal ball with the aim of seeing images relating to future or distant events.
foretelling the future, forecasting the future, fortune telling, crystal-gazing, prediction, second sight, clairvoyance, prognostication, divination, soothsayingView synonyms
- ‘It might sound like the sort of question best left to crystal-gazing new agers, but there is growing evidence that the weird movies that play in our heads every night actually mean something.’
- ‘Along with charms and talismans, crystal-gazing and the invocation of spirits, he dismissed astrological prophecy and mystical revelation as ‘cheats and shifts to gull the sillier sort of people.’’
- ‘It can involve elaborate rituals for cleaning the ball and for conducting the crystal-gazing sessions.’
- 1.1 Attempting to forecast the future.
- ‘Historians don't do crystal-gazing.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.