A code name.
- ‘What was your response to this revelation as to what Oswald's cryptonym was?’
- ‘For many years she has been collecting materials on three topics: history of Polish Women War Service, history of underground-movement in Pomerelia 1939-1945 and history of the Department of Foreign Communications of the Home Army Main Headquarters, cryptonym ‘Zagroda’ - ‘Cottage’.’
- ‘One knew one's fellow students only by their cryptonyms and one did not ask them where they lived.’
- ‘Messages identified their recipients with a cryptonym and gave necessary instructions in coded messages.’
- ‘A hundred other unseen locks and keys, oaths of secrecy, and cryptonyms stood in my way.’
- ‘In a few cases, I was asked to not use a cryptonym or to delete the name of a case officer or the country where he had served.’
- ‘The new project had been given an official cryptonym for use in cable traffic: Henceforth it would be known as HARDNOSE.’
Late 19th century: from crypto- hidden + Greek onuma name.