Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The maximum distance a ship or aircraft can travel at a given speed without refueling.
- ‘Fuel capacity is 140 gallons and the cruising range is about 200 miles, allowing for a 10% fuel reserve.’
- ‘The fuel capacity is 300 gallons and cruising range will vary considerably depending on the engines installed and how the boat is operated.’
- ‘The cruising ranges of the Pacific Fleet simply could not meet this necessity.’
- ‘These ships were fast and powerful and had a long cruising range but were of a design that essentially represented an update of late World War I practices.’
- ‘Maximum speed is 110 km/h and cruising range is 650 km.’
cruising range/ˈkro͞oziNG ˌrānj/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.