One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of cosmetics or other commercial products) manufactured or developed by methods that do not involve experimentation on animals.
- ‘They believe they hold in their hands the beginnings of a brave new world of cruelty-free meat.’
- ‘Town and country, farmers and consumers, politicians and commerce must work together to encourage a new approach to farming that emphasises organic, sustainable, local and cruelty-free methods.’
- ‘And, you can be sure that these soaps are environmentally safe and cruelty-free to boot.’
- ‘They are cruelty-free and contain no artificial colors or animal by-products.’
- ‘Here are some tips for indulging in cruelty-free style.’
- ‘Many natural products are cruelty-free, too (again, check the label), so you can rest assured that no cute little bunnies had to suffer for your vanity.’
- ‘Meanwhile I've been trying out cruelty-free products that should give your skin and face a real glow.’
- ‘It is surely inevitable that in order to provide a safe food supply, we must dispense with factory farms, and other intensive food production enterprises, and return to small-scale, cruelty-free food production geared to local demand.’
- ‘My personal guess is that if you take these issues into account, you can have a cruelty-free fish tank.’
- ‘With the school holidays here, I urge readers to encourage their children to take up a cruelty-free activity.’
- ‘Most major companies advertise cruelty-free products and the idea of testing on humans is much more widespread.’
- ‘It includes everything from straightforward vegetarian and vegan recipes and nutritional information, to cruelty-free fashion and information on veggie events from Alaska to Manchester.’
- ‘These cruelty-free products have not been certified by the Federal Food and Drug Administration authorities.’
- ‘It is committed to peaceful campaigns against all forms of animal abuse and promotes a cruelty-free lifestyle.’
- ‘As for cruelty-free labeling, this may only indicate that the finished product may not have been tested on animals, but that its specific components have.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.