One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A British colony whose legislature and administration is controlled by the Crown, represented by a governor.
- ‘The Hong Kong where I lived for nearly a decade was exactly what it was called: a Crown Colony, with an appointed British governor presiding over an executive-led administration.’
- ‘The Bahamas became a British Crown Colony in 1717.’
- ‘On December 1, 1865, the secretaries of state for the colonies tore up the Jamaican Constitution and recommended a Crown Colony government for the island.’
- ‘Although still a British Crown Colony, the islands today are self-governed in nearly all respects.’
- ‘A Dutch Crown Colony, Statia (as she is usually called), is charming, but a little neglected and unloved.’
- ‘In the 1830s, the British Crown Colony of Natal was founded on the coast of Zululand in the east.’
- ‘For much of its history, Hong Kong was a Crown Colony of Britain, yet it had created a distinct cinema that had nothing or little to do with Britain.’
- ‘Similar groups of settlers formed governments in The Bahamas until the islands became a British Crown Colony in 1717.’
- ‘The two islands were administratively joined in 1888; British Crown Colony government lasted until independence in 1962.’
- ‘A British Crown Colony from 1866, representative government was gradually introduced from 1884.’
- ‘St. Lucia alternated between French and British control fourteen times before it became a British Crown Colony under the Treaty of Paris in 1814.’
- ‘The region only became a British Protectorate in 1895 and a Crown Colony called Kenya in 1920.’
- ‘After World War II, Sabah became a British Crown Colony and in 1963 gained independence and joined Malaysia.’
- ‘Afterwards, Moshoeshoe persuaded the British to establish his kingdom as a Crown Colony, to deter encroachment from other Europeans and Afrikaners.’
- ‘The Cayman Islands are a British Crown Colony with strong ties to the United Kingdom.’
- ‘The Greek majority population of the British Crown Colony of Cyprus demanded independence and union with Greece.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.