One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Obtain (information or input into a particular task or project) by enlisting the services of a large number of people, either paid or unpaid, typically via the Internet.‘she crowdsourced advice on album art’
- ‘IKEA could even crowdsource their next range this way before it hits the production line.’
- ‘Amara has announced a new platform that allows YouTube publishers to crowdsource subtitles and translation for their published videos.’
- ‘Some have predicted that crowdsourcing is the future of the marketing, advertising, and industrial design industries.’
- ‘Since crowdsourcing takes place through the Web, the crowd is necessarily comprised of Web users.’
- ‘Twitter has been lauded for its capacity to crowdsource and uncover the "Truth."’
- ‘The system, called GitHub, was also used to crowdsource expertise during the 2011 E. coli epidemic in Germany.’
- ‘No social journalism tool would be complete without the ability to crowdsource reporting.’
- ‘Crowdsourcing blurs the lines between what constitutes work and play.’
- ‘From the looks of your latest post, you are now dabbling in crowdsourcing as well as crowdfunding.’
- ‘Generally done using the Internet, crowdsourcing is being used for a variety of tasks in marketing, product design, development and other areas.’
- ‘The main advantages of crowdsourcing for research are lower costs and access to a broader pool of information.’
- ‘Crowdsourcing involves soliciting knowledge and expertise from the public to help find solutions to problems.’
- ‘These data have implications for future research into crowdsourcing, particularly regarding notions of professionalism and investment in online communities.’
- ‘Watch this project for interesting ideas on how to crowdsource information.’
- ‘The youngest users, born after 1993, crowdsource their knowledge: they look for the wisdom of their friends, networking what they know, rather than holding on to the information for themselves.’
- ‘ActiveCaptain is a crowd sourced cruising guide with information about marinas and marine services.’
- ‘BitTorrent will crowd source ideas from its 170 million users for its new Sync program for file sharing across multiple computers.’
- ‘The California representative originally introduced the bill on Reddit in order to crowdsource suggestions and advice.’
- ‘The process of finding and fixing bugs and security flaws is crowdsourced and far more efficient.’
- ‘This app uses crowd sourced OpenStreetMap data and, as such, contains a few more errors, primarily missing traffic restrictions, compared to some others, which use commercially compiled maps.’
Early 21st century: from crowd + source, after outsource.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.